However, with all the preparations for my friend and colleague's wedding (just two weeks left to go!) it has got me thinking about my own (in the future) and what I would want for it. Obviously I am super excited for Joanna's wedding and Joe's (next year) but I don't think you can help thinking about your own, even though I have no plans to get married soon.
If it wasn't for my family's situation (poor health, my brother lives in the US and money situations) I would totally elope to an island somewhere and it just be me and the SO, but I couldn't do that to my parents and ask that of my family 'either spend a couple of grand or miss my wedding'.
At the moment, and I change my mind quite often, I want a barn wedding with a really rustic and homemade feel. I'm lucky enough to have an incredibly talented mum and auntie who would be happy to make my invitations, save the dates, place names etc but I have literally no idea about what I would want apart from the colour scheme (a very specific blue if you were wondering). However, everything else I have pretty much planned out. I never thought about weddings or really wanted to get married before I met the SO and whether it is an age thing or him, I have no idea but it just feels like the right thing to do.
2. Relaxed will be the main word of the day and I'd like dark blue runners on the table. So I think mason jars full of whatever white flowers I can get my hands on before the wedding will be perfect. I want a dark blue/cream/blush colour scheme.
3. Food is a big deal for me and the SO but I don't really want the strict sit down three-course meal as I spent years serving other people and it's just so fusty. I'm really keen to have plenty of canapes with drinks, and then a barbecue with lots of meats and salads and fresh bread, and then afternoon tea with cakes and scones. I want it to be casual and our families have very different tastes so then they can get what they want. In the evening we're thinking about having like a pizza and ice cream van or a hog roast.
4. These are the closest invites that I like. Travel is a big thing for us and we want to ask for money for the honeymoon rather than gifts because then it's something that can't get broken or dropped like most gifts.
5. I love books and would like to incorporate them into the centrepieces, the SO is a big fan of comics so maybe a combination of the two. I want the day to reflect us both not just me.
6. This is my idea of perfection. An empty barn with tables and chairs and plenty of fairy lights, lanterns and little trinkets.
7, We're big fans of Up! and travel (as I said) so incorporating that into the save the dates would be nice. It's important for my family that save the dates happen as I really want my brother there who is a teacher and lives 5,000 miles away so planning ahead will be key.
8. I'm planning on just having my sister as maid of honour to keep costs down and it means I can make her look and feel beautiful too. I want her to have a beautiful dress probably blush with a dark blue buttonhole and white flowers.
9. I really want a plain cake and there is no way I'm spending hundreds of pounds on it. I want a cheese cake with plenty of brie and grapes, and then homemade cakes from my mum, his mum and us. Then my mum can decorate it cause she's ace.